Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Weekend

I had big plans for Memorial weekend this year. My plan was to get up there early on Saturday and get a good 1/2 day of work in on Saturday.

As usual things did not go according to plan, starting with the 10 vehicle (7 motor cycles and 3 cars) crash on 169 around Lake Mille Lacs. After sitting on 169 for nearly an hour, we (and hundreds of others) all had to turn our vehicles around and take an alternate route because they closed the road. We saw 3 ambulances, at least 10 emergency vehicles and a medical chopper arrive. From what I understand no one died at least.

Anyway, the drive up ended up taking 5.5 hours and we did not get the early start I wished for. After unpacking and getting situated, Saturday was basically shot.

We did get started at a decent time Sunday morning. I worked all day roughing in the hot and cold water supply lines. Prior to going up, I had drawn up plans on exactly how I would plumb the lines. After I got started I realized there was a much better way and completely re-worked my plan.
From 2009 cabin

From 2009 cabin

From 2009 cabin

I was able to complete the work on Sunday. I even managed to spend a little time fishing with the boys off the dock thanks to Cheryl for picking up some worms in town earlier that day.
From 2009 cabin

Monday morning was time to put the system to the test. I fired up the well pump and loaded the water lines full of pressurized water. Amazingly I only had a couple of small leaks which did not take long to fix. While I was testing the system Cheryl was roughing in electrical lines for baseboard heat that will be installed at some point.

All in all, it was a very productive weekend. Our next trip up should be a week long and we should (keep fingers crossed) have a fully sheetrocked, functional bathroom with toilet, shower and all. I'm really looking forward to having hot water and a toilet.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Let the work begin

The family made the first trip up last weekend. Things looked great. I could not be happier. No trees down, no mice nests, and no break-in's. The siding that we put up in the fall looked great except for one top piece that came a little loose right above the front door.
From 2009 cabin

We did a ton of raking in which the boys were really a big help. I finally got around to wiring up the pump and alarm in the septic system to try it out. Both the pump and the alarm seem to be working great. This is good news since I plan on getting all the plumbing functional this year.

I gave the roof a good looking over. It's actually in better shape then I thought it was. I'm thinking that the bathroom and kitchen area will be the top priorities for this year. If I don't get the time to do the roof this year, I'm sure it will be fine until next year.

Our current plan is to go up over Memorial weekend and start the bathroom work. First I will need to get the water lines in place, then insulation and sheet rock. Hopefully we will make good progress and my next post will include some good new photos.