Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A most excellent week

We had a beautiful week up north over the forth. The weather was perfect. High's around 80 and low humidity. Not a drop of rain. Loons swimming down the lake each evening. The thing that topped it off is that we now have a working sink and toilet. The shower was also hooked up, but I have a couple of leaks to fix.

It took a few days to finish the taping and mudding process on the sheet rock.
From 2009 cabin

From 2009 cabin

While I was doing that Cheryl was busy installing insulation in the ceiling of the "great room".
From 2009 cabin

After the final coat of mud was dry, I got it all sanded down. Cheryl then started painting it with two coats of primer. It then looked something like this:
From 2009 cabin

After getting the flooring installed we got the flange for the toilet in place.
From 2009 cabin

Then the vanity, sink, and mirror went in. We got all these items off of craigslist. I think all three items cost under $100 total and they look and work great!
From 2009 cabin
I guess I forgot to mention that I wired up the outlets, lights, fan, and hot water heater too, and connected all the shower hardware.
From 2009 cabin

Then it came time to connect up the drains for everything. This turned out the be much more difficult then I had planned. It was the one thing I thought would be very easy. I guess that's why it slowed me down. I did not plan too well for it, not to mention that it's kind of difficult working in the crawlspace under the cabin.
From 2009 cabin

After a couple of trips to the local hardware store, I managed to get the leaks fixed and we now have a toilet and sink (with hot water!). The shower had a couple of leaks in the supply lines so I still have to fix that before taking a shower. That will be the first thing we do on our next trip up. We still had time for boat rides, swimming, tubing, campfires, and all that good stuff. It was a really good trip. Luke got into a little trouble when he found a Porcupine.
From 2009 cabin

Now, after having 6 days off of work, it's time to return to the real world. Oh well, at least it's only a week and a half until our next trip up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ouch! is that a trip to the Vet, or did you just pull out the needles?