Thursday, October 14, 2010

End of year 2010

It's been a strange fall this year. September came in with temps way below normal while October has been fabulous with temps in the 70s and 80s. I have made 3 trips up to the lake since my last post.

My Dad joined me for a weekend run up over Sept. 18th and 19th. It was a chilly weekend, but the insulation in the cabin keep us plenty warm with just a couple of space heaters. We took a load of laminate flooring with us in anticipation of getting the "great room" floored yet this fall. I was also able to complete the remainder of my electrical work in prep for the final electrical inspection. We also took the boat out and got things ready for winter.

Friday, Sept. 24th I went back up again with my good friend Pete. Pete had volunteered to help me install the flooring because he had installed several floors in the past. The flooring went down great. It took a while getting started due to the "non-squareness" of the room, but once we got the first few rows down, it was smooth sailing. It looks better than I imagined it would.

From 2010 Work



From 2010 Work


From 2010 Work


From 2010 Work


We were not able to finish the entire floor as you can see below because I still have a cabinet to get to complete the base cabinets in the kitchen. I also discovered a little water leaking in around the front door, so I want to make sure it's fixed before covering that area with flooring.

From 2010 Work


After we finished with the flooring we moved in the refrigerator from the garage. We also moved in our kitchen table, some chairs, and dishes too. No more eating in the garage from here on out. As soon as spring rolls around, we can finish up the cabinets and counter top.

I went up again on Sunday, Oct. 10. The electrical inspector came out the next morning and did the final inspection. It's nice to have all of the electrical work completed. I closed up the cabin for the season. Usually this makes me a little sad, but it's been a productive year, and frankly I am ready for a break.

Next year I would like to finish up the kitchen first thing in the spring. A functional kitchen will be huge. My only other real goal for next year is to get a new roof on the place. Who knows, maybe next year we'll spend more time enjoying the place, than working on the place.




No comments: